Parliament House is administered by the departments of the Parliament - (see Parliamentary Officers)
the Department of the Legislative Council
the Department of the Legislative Assembly
the Parliamentary Services Department
The operations of Parliament House are managed by a Management Executive Committee (MEC) comprising -
the President of the Legislative Council
the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly
the Clerks of both Houses
the Executive Manager, Parliamentary Services.
The building and grounds are bounded by Hay Street, the Mitchell Freeway, Malcolm Street and Harvest Terrace, with the entire area being gazetted as a Parliamentary Reserve with height restrictions to prevent visual obstruction by surrounding buildings.
The present Harvest Terrace frontage and the two Chambers of Parliament House were completed in 1904.
Later additions included the eastern frontage and the members bar (1964), offices on the southern side (1978), the visitors bar (1980), the gymnasium/courtyard (1988) and offices on the northern side (2003).
The facade of the 1904 structure incorporates Rottnest sandstone; later extensions are faced with Donnybrook sandstone. Locally quarried granite was used in the entrance foyer floors and steps, and the internal stairs and wall treatments are Italian Travertine marble. Wood panelling throughout is fluted and polished jarrah.
Because space is limited within Parliament House, other buildings nearby provide additional accommodation -
the Library Annexe located at 1 Harvest Terrace
the Legislative Council Committee Office and committee rooms at 18-32 Parliament Place
the Legislative Assembly Annexe and Select Committee Rooms at 1st floor, 11 Harvest Terrace
the Finance Unit and the Information Technology Unit at 2nd floor, 11 Harvest Terrace