Protecting Children from Harmful Hypersexualised Advertising
Eligibility : Residents of Western Australia Only
|Principal Petitioner: Nicole Robins
||Facilitating Member: Goiran, Hon Nick
||Closing Date: 09 November 2022
||Posting Date: 07 September 2022
|No. of Signatures: 1710
To the President and Members of the Legislative Council of the Parliament of Western Australia in Parliament assembled. We the undersigned ...
1. Are concerned about harmful advertising in Western Australia that uses obscene language, is degrading, or deals inappropriately with sex or violence;
2. Are particularly concerned about the impact of hypersexualised advertising on children and survivors of sexual abuse;
3. Acknowledge the introduction of a Bill into our WA Parliament that will enable vehicle licences to be cancelled if found by Ad Standards to have breached the advertising code;
4. Note that very little else has been done in the past decade since WA’s Commissioner for Children and Young People prepared her Report into the Sexualisation of Children;
5. Are frustrated that children and young people can be protected at home and at school through parent-managed internet filters but are left exposed to harmful advertising on billboards and in outdoor spaces;
6. Call on the WA Government to make the protection of children a real priority by urgently tackling harmful hypersexualised advertising in all its forms, rather than just those on motor vehicles.
And your petitioners as in duty bound, will ever pray.